May 8, 2009

Mustache May 'stache of the Day: Ozzie Smith

Thanks to the continued support of the American Mustache Institute, it is with great pleasure that I continue our month long celebration of the 'stache with a guy who, every time I see him or hear his name...I think not of backflips and dazzling plays at shortstop, I think of the greatest swindle I ever pulled while trading baseball cards.

Ozzie Smith.

The year was 1984. We used to trade cards at recess and I knew what people wanted. One classmate in particular was a HUGE White Sox fan, so, naturally...I used to load up my Sox cards and haul them to school. I traded a 1984 Topps Mike Squires, fresh from the pack for a 1979 Ozzie Smith. At the time, Squires was a common (still is) and the Smith rookie was worth $1.75.

AMI Style: Basically it is a thicker pencil...not quite a painter's brush.

Grade: C/A-
Solo...the 'stache itself is nothing to write home about. Combined with those sideburns, we're looking at a Grade A combo.



A special thanks to checkoutmycards.com for the use of their images.

No comments: