May 7, 2009

Ooops!

Obviously, the Hall of Very Good is a fan of Manny Ramirez. Let's face it...he's a great character AND he brings it night after night.

Well, apparently, his "bringing it" might have been enhanced.
Major League Baseball is expected to announce today that Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Manny Ramirez has tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs and will be suspended for 50 games, The Los Angeles Times is reporting.

***UPDATE***

According to ESPN, the Dodgers star said he did not take steroids and was prescribed medication by a doctor that contained a banned substance. The commissioner's office didn't announce the specific violation by the 36-year-old outfielder, who apologized to the Dodgers and fans for "this whole situation."

However, two sources told ESPN's T.J. Quinn and Mark Fainaru-Wada that the drug used by Ramirez is HCG -- human chorionic gonadotropin. HCG is a women's fertility drug typically used by steroid users to restart their body's natural testosterone production as they come off a steroid cycle. It is similar to Clomid, the drug Bonds, Giambi and others used as clients of BALCO.

"Recently, I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me," Ramirez said in a statement issued by the players' union.

"Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I've taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons."

BallHype: hype it up!

2 comments:

E said...

I think we can pretty much assume that everyone who's hit more than 40 homers in the past 10 years is on steroids.

Remember when a skinny Mark McGwire hit 49 hrs his rookie season, and that seemed like a shitload?

Those were the good ole days.

Anonymous said...

In my everyday job it's easy to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission but I'm not making over 20 Million. With that kind of responsibility, I would double check everything with my organizations medical staff before putting it in my body.

I'm a fan of Manny too but I'm sorry, there's no excuse.