January 27, 2010

Jim Thome is in the news...welcome to The Hall!

The Chicago White Sox confuse me.

Seriously...they do.

A couple of days ago, the Chicago sports world was buzzing with whether or not the Southsiders were going to be re-signing future Hall of Famer (I know, I know) Jim Thome.

Yes, the same Jim Thome that, just last August, was offered up to whatever team would bite. And yes, the same Jim Thome that earlier last week, Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said WON'T be part of his master plan of a rotating designated hitter.

So why was it news when the White Sox officially said they weren't bringing Thome back?


I don't know!

All that aside, Thome's one-year steal of a contract ($1.5 milion, plus incentives) with the Twins means good things for The Hall.

Basically, every time Thome is in the news, traffic here rises. His bat combined with that Minnesota lineup means more home runs and more Thome in the news.

I think I have a new hero.

Now for those of you that are stumbling upon this post (welcome!), let me get you up to speed with The Hall's affiliation with Thome.

When The Hall was just in its infancy, I wrote the following and a powder keg was ignited.

There you have it...Thome is very good, not great. Hall of Famer? Perhaps…but not on the first couple of ballots.


To this day, Google is still directing people (mostly those who look for information on "Jim Thome and steroids" or "Jim Thome and the Hall of Fame") to a little post where I suggested that Jim Thome might not make it into the Hall of Fame on his first ballot.

Since then, he's hit 66 more home runs and is sitting at 564 for his career. That's right, the guy is now 12th all-time, but I still stand by my claim...Thome will NOT be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Why? My reasoning is the same as it was two years ago.

His home run total, while incredible, will not be as eye popping five years after Thome's retirement.

Basically, we’ve got a guy who smacked the Hell out of the ball, but was never the most dominant, much less feared, player of his era. And because of that, he'll get lost in the mix.

Now, add to the fact that his former teammate (and, if you ask me, more Hall-worthy) Roberto Alomar can get the votes to go in on his first try...how can Thome?

Do you agree (like Rob Neyer did last September) or disagree? Let me know!



BallHype: hype it up!

No comments: