March 28, 2010

Matt Antonelli Sent to Portland

If you’ve been following the “Matt’s Mailbag” feature here at The Hall you know one thing…Matt Antonelli is a good guy.

So, naturally, when I got the following email from Matt this afternoon…my heart just sunk.

I actually got sent down to Triple A today. Planning on playing well down there and getting a chance sometime this year.

And you know what…he probably will.

Antonelli was 14 for 37 (.378) this spring and saw action in 20 games. He was third on the Friars in batting average behind veteran infielder Jerry Hairston (.459) and outfielder Kyle Blanks (.380).

"This was my first step to get back," Antonelli said in a story that appeared at MLB.com. "I feel like I did a pretty good job this spring. Hopefully, I can get ready now and try to make it up there (to San Diego)."

The second baseman was one of nine players cut today by the Padres as they trimmed their roster to 29.

Antonelli will next suit up for the Padres Triple-A affiliate Portland Beavers where he spent both 2008 and an injury plagued 2009.

Hopefully, the Peabody, Massachusetts native can get back to his 2007 form when he hit a combined .307 with 21 home runs for Lake Elsinore and San Antonio.



BallHype: hype it up!

No comments: