April 9, 2010

Friday 5: Jeff Cirillo

Who better to welcome to The Hall of Very Good’s inaugural installment of “Friday 5” than someone who batted .375 (15 for 40) over his 13 straight Opening Day contests?

Ladies and gents, it’s good friend of The Hall and two-time All-Star…Jeff Cirillo.

HOVG: Who was your biggest influence and why?

CIRILLO: My biggest influence had to be Dale Sutherland, scout for the Angels. He is the one who said I should be a thirdbaseman my senior year in COLLEGE.

HOVG: What is your most memorable travel experience?

CIRILLO: My best travel experience has to be playing at Fenway Park and taking a trip through Boston.

HOVG: What is your favorite baseball term or saying?

CIRILLO: If you can’t be president of your own fan club no one else is going to be.

HOVG: What is your best experience or greatest accomplishment?

CIRILLO: My greatest Accomplishment was getting back to the Majors after going to Mexico in the winter of 2004 to fix a mechanical flaw in my swing.

HOVG: When did you know that you “made it”?

CIRILLO: I knew I made it after 1996 season when I went to Japan with a team of MLB All Stars and I was playing next to Cal Ripken, Jr. and hitting in front of Barry Bonds. Go figure.

Jeff Cirillo played thirdbase in the Majors for 14 years for six different teams and carried a career .296 batting average. Last fall, he became part owner of the expansion Walla Walla Sweets of the West Coast League. Currently, he can be found coaching his kids in any one of a host of sports ranging from soccer, flag football, basketball, golf and baseball.



BallHype: hype it up!

No comments: