May 29, 2010

Roy Halladay is Perfect!

I was sitting at the ballpark tonight (Road Ranger Stadium in sleepy Rockford, IL...mere minutes from the The Hall's home office), when news of Roy Halladay's perfect game came over the PA.

"So what's your angle going to be?" I was immediately asked.

I knew I needed one, but initially, I wasn't sure as there are quite a few to choose from.

Do you choose the "this is the first time since 1880 that there have been two perfect games in a season" angle?

Nah...probably going to be covered to death.

Maybe it's the old "this is the third perfect game in ten months" whopper. I mean, that's never happened and when you add in no-hitters...five in a span of a year is pretty amazing.

Perhaps I could go all introspective and recall how I was at a ballgame in 1995 when I got the news Mickey Mantle died or how, 14 years later...I was at the ballpark when I heard Michael Jackson had passed.

That combined with tonight's news and you've got the makings of a pretty good "where were you when" piece don't you think?

Then it hit me...why have an angle at all? You know, the old "the angle is 'no angle'" angle...not too shabby when you consider that Halladay's gem is bound to be the most publicized perfect game in the history of baseball and any medium.

I mean, here you have a guy who, last year at this time, was the lead story every night on SportsCenter because the Toronto Blue Jays might, I repeat, MIGHT consider trading him. Now, with the Philadelphia Phillies, "Doc" is pitching in the fifth largest media market, with a team that has reached the World Series in consecutive seasons.

So, I ask, why write about Halladay's accomplishments at all...won't it be covered to death in a multitude of facets and from different angles?

Yes, it will.


So without further ado, here are some of my favorites from the blogs I frequent often and the bloggers I respect the most.

The Tao of Stieb:
On Roy Halladay and Starting Pitching

Joe Posnanski:
Halladay! Celebrate!

The 700 Level: Roy Halladay is Perfect

Fishstripes: Fish Wrap

Hum and Chuck: To Me, You've Always Been Perfect

The Fightins: PERFECTION!


Of course...here's what Sports Illustrated, MLB.com and ESPN had to say.

And in case you were wondering (you weren't), my favorite tweet of the night came from my frenemy DashTreyhorn:

Roy Halladay, you named my firstborn son tonight.


Given the interwebs are full of Halladay posts tonight, I could go on and on and on, but I won't. Frankly, who really wants to read another "this was baseball's 20th perfect game in its history" or "this was baseball's sixth 1-0 perfect game" or, my personal favorite, the "there have been only been two perfect games pitched on a Saturday...Halladay's and the first one ever thrown back in 1880".

I know I don't.

I only wish that Navin Vanwani (shown above deep within the belly of the beast
) was at his desk in Toronto banging away his love/hate for Halladay the Phillie, but I understand...a brother has to travel the country, hitting all 30 Major League ballparks when he can.

And in case anyone was curious what I will remember most about my trip to the ballpark tonight...it WON'T be Halladay's no-no. No, it'll be the fact that minutes after I dropped six bucks on a souvenir ball for my son at the gift shop in the seventh...he got a foul ball.


BallHype: hype it up!

1 comment:

eyebleaf said...

Doc! What a man.