October 25, 2010

"Bochy's Band of MiSFits" Get Their Own T-shirt

In 1982, the baseball world was introduced to "Harvey's Wallbangers".

Seven years later, "The Boys of Zimmer" were born.

Starting Wednesday, the San Francisco Giants are hoping to do something the Milwaukee Bewers and Chicago Cubs couldn't.

Win.  It.  All.

Bay Area graphic artist Kirk Shelton is looking to capitalize on the nickname San Francisco radio station KNBR gave his beloved Giants.  I had a chance to catch up with Shelton and get the story behind the "Bochy's Band of MiSFits" t-shirts.

HOVG: You're the designer behind the "Bochy's Band of MiSFits" shirt...what's the story?

SHELTON: The motivation behind the shirt was pretty straight forward, "Bochy's Band of Misfits" had been mentioned on KNBR and by some players recently. Naturally, the connection to the punk band the Misfits came to mind but I never thought about making a graphic out of it. Then, a friend of mine texted me with the idea to use the Misfits fiend logo and tie-in the Giants with the "SF" of MiSFits somehow. So I threw it together in about 5 minutes and posted it up on my website...the rest is history.

HOVG: Is this the first Giants-related shirt you've come up with?

SHELTON: I have another one up that was all my idea.  It's an Andres Torres spoof of the classic Shepard Fairey "Andre the Giant Has a Posse" stickers from the 90s. You should buy some of those too.

HOVG: I won't ask WHO you think is going to win between the Giants and Rangers...I'm going to ask in how many games do you think your Giants will win. How's that?

SHELTON: I'd love to see 'em bust out four in a row but that's not how the MiSFits roll. I think they'll eek it out to at least six nail biters. It will be interesting to see how it feels being on the other side of a Bengi Molina single to lead off an inning.

HOVG: Anything else?

SHELTON: Thanks for the love and attention. Go Gigantes!

You can buy the "Bochy's Band of MiSFits" shirt exclusively through RedBubble.com.  Or if that one doesn't float your boat...check out one of Shelton's other shirts HERE!

3 comments:

Collective Troll said...

Wow... That makes it harder to root against San Fran... Damn cool designs...

Anonymous said...

Is that shirt still for sale?

Anonymous said...

What's up w this shirt can I order