May 9, 2011

Justin Verlander Wants to Throw Seven No-hitters

Typically, after a pitcher throws a gem of a game he's pretty humble.

Consider these quotes from Roy Halladay who, last year, threw two of baseball's best games.

After the perfect game in May:

"I don't know what to say.  Early in my bullpen I was hitting spots more than I have been. I felt like I just carried that out there."

And after the no-hitter in the Playoffs:

"It's surreal, it really is.  I just wanted to pitch here, to pitch in the postseason. To go out and have a game like that, it's a dream come true."

You'd maybe expect the same from Justin Verlander after he tossed his second career no-hitter, right?

Wrong.

"I feel like I'm coming into myself," the Detroit Tigers ace said following Saturday's game. "There is no secret where I want to be when I finish...I want to separate myself."

And when asked how many no-hitters he'd like to throw in his career?

"Seven," he quickly answered.

One can only hope that Verlander was responding with a smile on his face because, if not, it is one of those things that blurs the line between confidence and cocky.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you asshole, nothing cocky about that.

Anonymous said...

His baseball idol was/is Nolan Ryan. Ryan through 7 no-hitters, thus, JV's desire to live up to the accomplishments of his idol...thus, his statement. Do some fucking research before you write an article or leave comments that carry the assumption of being pompous. JV has been the ultimate team player/teammate so confident, yes, "cocky" not-so-much.

Jesus Melendez said...

I do believe the post says "One can only hope that Verlander was responding with a smile on his face because, if not, it is one of those things that blurs the line between confidence and cocky."

By the way...anyone else notice that the people spewing hate post as "anonymous"?

Ed Debevic said...

"Jesus Melendez" is a douchebag. There, "hate" with an i.d.

Kay E said...

Ed---He is also one of the most consistant pitchers in the active ranks. Consider that!

chuck greene said...

i mean really who would you want on your team someone who's just happpy and feels lucky to get one or someone who really believes they can get several. he should have that kind of attitude, it's competition
this article is pretty stupid.

Jesus Melendez said...

Essentially, what he is saying is that he wants to separate himself and throw seven no-hitters.

Is that being confident or cocky?

You all are saying "confident" and that's fine. Me? I'd prefer a grinder who wants to go out there and help his team win regardless of how it happens and not worry about personal accolades.