May 15, 2011

Pete Rose: "I Want to be a Manager"

Having officially given up on his attempt to get into the Baseball Hall of Fame...Pete Rose now has his sights set on something else.

"I want to be a manager, that's the only role," Rose told the crowd at Ohio Justice and Policy Center gala. "But I'm running out of time. I want to teach young players."

Interesting.  Wait...what?

Yeah...you read that part about Rose addressing the Ohio Justice and Policy Center gala correctly.

"I don't go to many banquets where I sit with the judge that sent me to prison," the hit king and keynote speaker said, drawing laughter from the 300 people in attendance. "I'm not bitter at anybody. I made the mistake."

The former Cincinnati Reds player and manager was banned for life in 1989 for betting on baseball games...including Reds games. He holds baseball's record with 4256 hits.


6 comments:

Mark A. said...

Pete's looking an awful lot like Elton John in that photo.

Anonymous said...

You ask people that really know PR and they will tell you to a person he was a great ballplayer but a lousy person. I remember when he told Bob Braun on Cincy TV that giving a nice car to his then wife, Carolyn was like "giving pearls to a pig". then they quickly cut to a commercial. He has no interest in teaching anyone baseball, he is only interested in PR.
If you want to give baseball a big black eye .... let PR have anything to do with a ballclub! He could have been a great person coming from Cincy....instead he blew it for what? Personal Greed and Stupidity. But that's just me.

Anonymous said...

Pete agreed to a life's suspension frm baseball, what part of suspended for life doesn't this guy understand. Every clubhouse in Pro Baseball (incl. the minors)informs its players about gambling on baseball. He made his own bed, now he has to sleep in it.

Anonymous said...

I loved Pete. I think he was one of the all time greats. Unfortunately he was a liar and a cheater. No to the Hall and any involvement in MLB. Let him coach a high school or college team.

Anonymous said...

Does the guy ever give up? He broke a cardinal rule. (Pete, if you read this, that means unforgivable, not one that is just for Missouri people) He's out for life. Pete made his own decisions; and now he has to pay the price. He's a gambler. He lost.

FHPromos said...

It's comments like that is what keeps him suspended. He should just be quiet and be content with the occasional honor on the field. I've always said that the condition of his reinstatement is that he can never ever manage or coach a major league team with the exception of being a special coach at Spring Training. He should never be in a position to control how a game might be played. It's a shame but that's the way I believe it should be. Not many played as hard as Rose did.