December 16, 2011

Tim Tebow...Baseball Player?

Everyone's talking Tim Tebow and, unfortunately, I've been no different.  Thing is, unlike the rest of you, I'm a recent convert. 

Honestly, I was numb to the hype (avoided it actually) until the last couple of weeks.  What turned me around?

I started listening to the guy.

Tebow isn't out there preaching rhetoric and spewing cliches...he's actually talking about what he believes.  And what he believes, he fully believes.  I mean, dude is fully committed and for season, I like that he's wrapped up in his own delusions.

Oh, the kid wins too.

So...does baseball need a Tebow?  And, no, I'm not talking about baseball needing another person praising his God after a game winning home run or no hitter.  I mean the actual guy himself.

Well, depending on who you ask...it probably could've happened.

You see, last year, the quarterback was hiding out and working out in Memphis and did what any fun loving athlete would do if/when asked...he took a few swings with a local high school baseball team.

How'd he do?  He saw 15 pitches and blasted 12 out of the park.

"The kids were just awed by how far he hit the ball," Tebow's agent Jimmy Sexton told newspapers at the time.

What was the former Heisman Trophy winner's take?

“Um yeah, I hit it pretty decent that day. I hit it pretty good. That was awesome though, that was fun,” Tebow told the Palm Beach Post. “That was my first time to hit since my junior year of high school. And I was running pole laps in the outfield, and just conditioning, with Jim Denton, one of my agents. So I was just out there conditioning, and the baseball team was about to take BP, and I was talking to the coach and stuff. And Jim, he was the one, he was like, you don’t have a swing anymore, so he got me competitive. And then (the coach) was like, you can take some hacks, so I was like, alright. I warmed up and went up there, and then missed I think the first two. I didn’t miss them but I didn’t hit them out. Then I went on a good streak from there, so it was decent.”

The current Denver Broncos quarterback actually played some high school baseball before focusing solely on his future profession and, maybe, that's what prompted team exec John Elway to take a chance on the guy.

Elway himself was, famously, a two-sport star having been drafted by the New York Yankees in 1981.  The Hall of Famer was actually taken six spots ahead of Tony Gwynn.

This is going to sound dumb, but quarterbacks being well-rounded athletes is nothing new.

Some other notable NFL quarterbacks that had their phone ring during the baseball draft...Dan Marino (1979 by the Kansas City Royals), Tom Brady (1995 by the Montreal Expos) and Michael Vick (2000 by the Colorado Rockies).

Kerry Collins found himself drafted on three separate occasions...1990 and 1991 by the Detroit Tigers and in 1994 by the Toronto Blue Jays.



No comments: