March 13, 2012

Chipper Jones was Joking?

Oh, Chipper...you're hilarious!

Monday, Chipper Jones told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, basically, that he was considering retirement.

"I've said it a million times, it's hell getting old," said Jones, who’ll be 40 next month.  "The body is starting to tell me every morning when I wake up that it’s getting close...I don’t know if I can make it through this year."

Naturally, that made Atlanta Braves fans panic because, well, dude is slated to be the team's starting third baseman.

Tuesday, however, the seven-time All-Star was backpeddling.

"It was tongue in cheek. I was kidding. I just got done playing eight innings with three at-bats. I was a little tired," the 1999 National League MVP told MLB.com. "I wasn't by any means suggesting I couldn't make it through the season. If I didn't think that I could, I wouldn't be out there."

"I think it is a disservice to Chipper Jones to suggest that after wearing a Braves uniform for 22 years, he is going to abandon his teammates in the middle of a season," B.B. Abbott, Jones' agent, said. "Anybody who knows anything about him knows he is not like that."

I guess I don't get the humor.

REPORTER:  Hey, Chipper...how ya feeling?

CHIPPER:  The body is starting to tell me every morning when I wake up that it’s getting close...I don’t know if I can make it through this year.

ZING!  Comedy has come a long way, gang.

That said...if you find yourself in the Greater Orlanda area watching Spring Training this weekend, the always funny Jim Norton is there Thursday through Saturday.

Tell him The Hall sends its regards!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats not the full response that he gave what do you think the ... is for they cut out the entire conversation. Here's everthing that he said:

"Unfortunately, I said it around two guys who don't know me very well, and they didn't realize I was kidding around," Jones said. "One of the guys asked, 'You think you can make it through the season with your knees?' I said, 'Make it through the season, I don't know if I can make it through tomorrow.' Obviously, I'm joking. That's an obvious joke. Really, I just came off the field after playing eight innings. I've had eight at-bats all spring. I was kidding around.

Someone gave you a job reporting sports?? Next time do a little more research.

Jesus Melendez said...

Yeah...that's what he said AFTER the fact. Here's what he said to the reporters that was supposedly so "tongue-in-cheek".

"I’ve said it a million times, it’s hell getting old. The body is starting to tell me every morning when I wake up that it’s getting close. I’m signed through the end of this year. If I play in a certain amount of games, I got an option for next year. I don’t know what next year entails. I don’t know if I can make it through this year."

And the reporter that, apparently, doesn't know him very well is David O'Brien from the AJC who has been covering baseball for close to 20 years...the last ten as a Braves beat writer.

Anonymous said...

dont retire chipp