March 8, 2012

The Padres Sure Are Charitable

I don't want to get all nostaglic, but when I was a tyke, I played for teams like "Sprite" and "Little Caesar's Pizza".

Not once did I have the opportunity to have a real team name.  But, that might be because I didn't play within ten miles of Petco Park. 

Allow me to explain.

This past weekend, the San Diego Padres supplied 11,600 jerseys and caps to over 800 local T-ball, baseball and softball teams.  And to top it off...they had their choice of 20 different styles to choose from!

According to Paul Lukas' piece over at ESPN Page 2, the uniform program was the brainchild of Padres president and COO Tom Garfinkel.  Apparently, he came up with the idea last year during a Little League promotion at Petco Park.

"We had about 8,000 Little Leaguers doing a parade around the warning track before the game, and it occurred to me that almost none of them were wearing Padres jerseys," Garfinkel said. "They had jerseys sponsored by local businesses, jerseys from other teams. And I thought, 'Wouldn't it be great if they were all Padres?'"

So Garfinkel and his staff made it so.

I'm not sure what uniform I would've picked (I'm just kidding...I'd have gone with the 1978 road unis), but anything beats the year I played centerfield for "orange".


No comments: