August 7, 2012

Frank Viola's Daughter Set to Compete

If you're like me, the fact that 1988 American League Cy Young Award winner Frank Viola has a daughter competing in the Olympics makes you feel old.

But, he does.  And I do.

Brittany Viola, daughter of the three-time All-Star, will be making her Olympic debut later this week when she goes for the gold in the women's 10-meter platform diving competition.

Naturally, pops will be there as well.


I caught up with @FrankViola3, er, Frank Viola III to see what he and his family thought of their favorite Olympian.

"I've honestly never been so overwhelmed with emotion. I'm so proud/nervous/excited it's hard to put the feelings into words," Frank III said.  "I think a lot of the feeling for all of us is, it's about time because she has worked so hard for so long and overcome so much adversity. Just being a part of watching her through thick and thin, for her to turn into this amazing woman is the most gratifying part for all of us.  Dad and I are just excited to see her happy and fulfilling her dreams!"

So what's next for the 25-year-old when she wraps up her Olympic endeavors?

"There's no doubt she will turn this into a platform where she can touch people all over the world for the better," the proud brother added.  "She's the hardest working, most diligent and caring person in the world. I wish I could have half of her drive, passion and focus."

I'm pretty sure we all do.


No comments: