September 25, 2012

White Sox Announcer Named Biggest "Homer"

If you've never had the opportunity to listen to a Chicago White Sox television broadcast, well...you've been fortunate enough to be spared listening to the guy The Wall Street Journal calls baseball's biggest "homer".

Yeah, I'm talking about Ken "Hawk" Harrelson.  And, well, it shouldn't come as a shock to anyone...dude is actually proud of his "homerism".

"You just made my day," Harrelson told The WSJ. "That's the biggest compliment you could give me, to call me the biggest homer in baseball."

But just how big of a "homer" is Harrelson?

Consider this.  The Grandpa Munster lookalike and his broadcast partner Steve Stone were hit with 104 different citations.  In second place...Cleveland's broadcast team of Matt Underwood and Rick Manning.

And what exactly was the criteria?

The WSJ issued a citation to "anyone with a microphone" who used a pronoun like "we," "us" or "our" to describe the home team.  Also, announcers who referred to players with "obscure pet names" or displayed "excessive moping after miscues or unrestrained glee after big moments".

All charges, good old "Hawk" is guilty of.

"Everybody I work with, I tell them, 'I announce my (butt) off for my team,'" Harrelson added.  "Let's just say that if we're losing, you're going to know it...I won't sound happy."

Oh, if you have a desire to listen to some of Harrelson's best/worst Hawkisms...head on over to Heave the Hawk.

Mercy.

***Props to Big League Stew.***

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot stand listening to him on the highlights on MLB. Luckily I get to listen to the best announcers in baseball: Jon Miller, Mike Krukow, and Duane Kuiper.

Anonymous said...

HE IS THE BIGGEST REASON I WON'T ROOT FOR WHITESOX he gone you can put on the books I feel sorry for Steve Stone

Anonymous said...

As someone who works on visiting teams broadcasts, I hate when Chicago comes to town because I am forced to listen to this guy.

What the hell is the appeal? It's like listening to some blowhard who bought the seat behind you at the game. As soon as he starts talking, you go "Oh no......."

Anonymous said...

I've hated the fucker for years. Steve Stone is cool. Used to listen to him broadcast the Cubs games. "The Hawk" has to go!

Anonymous said...

Go White Sox! He Gone, Good Guys Win. Those are great sayings.
2005 World Series Champions.

Anonymous said...

Homer is putting it mildly, I am mistified was watching end of game, White Sox got shut out and the player of the game was still a Chicago White Sox player. Think his "Can of Corn" is his scrambled brain

Anonymous said...

He's a terrific guy. Can't argue that. It's just that he's a bloody homer. It's nauseating at times, but what the hell can one do? He is who he is on the air. He's incapable of getting out of his own mouthy, non-sensical, singularly verbal bantering way. Steve Stone does add some balance. At least that's a positive.

Anonymous said...

He,s great! He's as real as it comes! He always calls it as he see it. He's Mr. Baseball! I love his style...

Anonymous said...

He's one of the Best out there! They should double his salary.

Anonymous said...

Unbelieveable Greatness, everyone loves him!

Anonymous said...

The Hawk was brutal back when he originally did Red Sox games (with the equally brutal Dick Stockton). He got bailed out later by Ned Martin (who was a gem), and was fortunately fired not to long after. People ought to be reminded of his accomplishments as GM including firing BOTH Tony La Russa and Dave Dombrowski.

Anyway, I did like his line of sandwich shops in Boston (Hawk Shop) - good greasy subs. But I will never forget the tantrum he through when he got traded to Cleveland. That was an all-time hissy fit. He would have been a laughingstock today for that performance.

Anonymous said...

He is just one more reason i don't like the white sox, and that is my "home team"

Anonymous said...

I like the Sox but can't stand this guy. He has no class, you want class and fair play by play, listen to the twins announcers and I don't like the twinkees.

Anonymous said...

He is the WORST announcer in baseball. When he was GM, he made the biggest blunders in baseball. Firing LaRussa and Dombrowski!