March 2, 2013

Mark Prior Attempting Yet Another Comeback

Alright, stop me if you've heard this one before...Mark Prior is attempting yet another comeback.

That's right, the oft-injured pitcher has joined the Cincinnati Reds in an effort to, for the fourth time in as many years, make it back to the bigs. 

The 32-year-old righty last pitched in the Majors in 2006 for the Chicago Cubs who, coincidentally, were managed current Reds skipper Dusty Baker...the same dude who many say ruined Prior's career.

''He called me in the winter. We talk sometimes. He sends my wife updates on the kids,'' Baker told reporters Friday. ''He never asked me for anything. He said, 'Hey man, I'd like to try it one more time.' I told him, 'If I can help you, I'll make the opportunity.'''

Now, there's probably not a snowball's chance that Prior heads north with the Reds, but a spot somewhere in the Minors isn't out of the question.  Last season, the 2003 All-Star made 19 appearances for the Triple-A Pawtucket PawSox...racking up a 3.96 ERA while collecting 38 strikeouts in just 25 innings pitched.

In his brief Major League career, Prior was 42-29 with a 3.51 ERA.  In 2003, he finished third in Cy Young Award voting.







1 comment:

Kurt Smith said...

I saw Prior pitch at Wrigley Field in 2003. He struck out 16 Brewers, including striking out the side in the 7th and 8th. Utterly unhittable. Baker pulled him and brought in Tom Borowski to pitch the 9th. The Brewers scored three runs and won the game.

I always wondered if that's why baker left Prior in during the infamous "Bartman game" that year.